Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 3 Pool Project


A new crew of workmen were over to do their labor intensive part of the job for day 3 of the project. So far there have been 5 different crews of workmen over to do their speciality: the salesman, the pool drainer (who later will be the acid washer), the crew for the demo, the coping and tile guys and the fellow who I had to pay. Here you can see that they laid the coping out all around the pool and put up some bender board as guide to edge the coping bricks. The coping I chose is called light iron spot with safety grip.
This is the first section that the guys finished, well not completely, the coping bricks still need to get the grey grout placed in between the bricks. My pool is slightly starting to look like a pool again.
I am really starting to like what the edge of the pool is going to look like when it is all finished. This is quiet the contrast of the old white rough coping that was in there before. The color of this coping will pull off of the color of the roof from the house and will pull some from the tile. You will see the tile in a few days.
The above and below photos show how exactly each brick needs to be cut to fit the curves of my pool. One of the workmen spent his time cutting the bricks with a wet saw and the other placing the bricks with mortar. These fellows are true craftsmen because they have to have an exacting eye for detail.



In the tile work I have done, I love using the wet saw to cut tiles. All the cuts look so neat and clean.


The reality of the enormity of the project set in when I needed to write the first half of the cost of the project with the completion of the prep work (the final payment will be at the end). I have to keep telling myself that it will be all worth it and my home will benefit greatly from improving the pool.

My mind was reminded that the local water district started water restrictions and usage cutbacks a few months ago. What must be drained must be then re-filled. I called the water company, and thank the Lord that I did, and explained my situation. The fellow that I talked with was very helpful and if all goes as planned, I will just have to pay the normal cost to refill the pool with no penalty. If not, this fellow will come to bat for me and give a report to the city council, fighting on my behalf. I praise the Lord that He moves our hearts on what we need to do.

One of the most favorable aspects of all of this work being done, is that most of the fellows who have come out speak Spanish and English. I don't have many opportunities to speak much in Spanish so I like to take opportunities when they arise. Each day I have lunch for the fellows and speak with them a little in their native tongues. Right from the first words that come out of my mouth I tell them that I don't speak Spanish that well, because I really don't, but I try really hard and I am open to correction. Mainly, I like to give them lunch because I know my job will be done to the very best of their ability and if I have an issue they will be quick to fix it for me. A little food goes a long way. Yesterday though, the Lord opened up a huge ministry opportunity to share of His grace and saving power. As we talked in Spanish, they wanted to know I learned Spanish and this gave me the opportunity to explain my time in Mexico studying and the many other times of visiting Mexico with churches that I have been involved with. One fellow asked what the difference was between the Catholic faith and the Christian faith. God was gracious for the opportunity and for the words in Spanish to explain the differences. They will be back on Monday and I pray that I might have more of an open door to share with them.

4 comments:

Lisa Scott said...

Wow! What a great ministry opportunity for you. Also, I am loving reading about the pool project.

Lisa

Sandi said...

Wow! What a great-looking pool! I haven't checked blogs in awhile and found I had a lot of catching up to do!

I'm excited to see what it looks like when it's all finished....

Steve Scott said...

Things are shaping up! No SF logo on the bottom of the pool? hehehe

Shelly said...

Hi, thanks for stopping on by the blog, when the pool is over you will have to stop on over for a swim.

Steve-not a bad idea of the SF logo or maybe Lou Seal.