Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Has it been 20 years?

This fall I have my 20th high school reunion. 20 years is a long time and it is more than 1/2 of my age, equally as scary. I am pondering if I should attend or not.

So much has changed in my life since graduating from high school and yet at the same time some things have not changed. Anyone in their later 30's and early 40's would recall some of the hideous clothes and accessory styles: leg warmers, bike shorts, Izod Polo shirts (several at one time with collar straight up), Jordache Jeans (never fit well on me, had my 501's with a button fly), the Madonna look, neon colored clothes (usually worn for volleyball practice), overalls, parachute pants, socks with the pom pom balls on the back, stirrup pants, the Flash Dance look, banana clips, colored mascara (I wore blue from time to time), crimped or the Farah Fawcett hair style (really did not work with my curly hair), rubber bracelets (as many as you could fit on one wrist and a Swatch Watch on the other wrist), Vuarnet Sunglasses and friendship bracelets of woven thread. Now that would be fun to have an 80's dress up party.

Gratefully, the biggest change in my life since graduating from high school has been my salvation. God intervened in my life during my senior year of college. My life has been forever changed because of what Christ did on my behalf. By His grace I am no longer enslaved to the sin of my heart that once held me captive. See Ephesians 1 for verses that talk about the work that God did in my life. If you are investigating Christianity, click here.

I attended my 5 and 10 year reunions. For the 5 year reunion, nothing much had changed with all of us except: a few were married, even fewer had a child (or children), most of us were finishing up with college, the guys had facial hair and everyone could drink legally. At the 10 year there were bigger changes: many were married, many had at least a few children, there were several classmates who had already been divorced (I remember hearing about 3 separate classmates that were on their 3rd marriage), a couple of classmates had passed away, almost everyone had their spouse or a date with them. There was apprehension in attending but my Mom talked me into going. It was nice to see everyone and to catch up with a few. I was thankful for the opportunity to share with some what incredible things God had done in my life.

High school seems like a long time ago. At one time in my life, when I was young, I never dreamed that the fun and memories of high school would fade away. My friends from high school were everything to me, well at the time. I have not keep in touch with any of my classmates. What was important to me then is not important to me now. Praise God that my life has changed.

So the real issue is on attending my reunion or not. I am sure that I will end up going for the main reasons of: these people are part of my life, part of the work that God has done in my life, would be good to see some of these past friends and God might give me opportunities to share Christ with someone. My heart has it's selfish concerns that I have to work and pray through before I go. Two of these are: I carry around a few more pounds now and will be attending solo because God has not brought a husband into my life YET. It is wearisome on my spirit to explain to people about my singleness, my desire to be married, my trust in God for His good and sovereign plan to bring a husband in His perfect timing. Sometimes, it is like rubbing salt into a fresh wound, it burns. I constantly remind myself of God's promises that His grace is sufficient for me in all things and He will not give me any situation that I can not endure. He knows what is the very best for me. I strive to be content in every situation that I find my life in. I will admit that it is a struggle at times but God continues to surround me with His great love.

What I can confidently say, is that regardless of how my high school reunion turns out, I am 20 years closer to my eternity with my Savior. Here is my senior portrait from 20 years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your photo Shelly! I encourage you to go. Last year at my 25th, I experienced the same mix of emotions that you are feeling re. going SOLO. I was amazed at how much grace God gave me and how He provided some opportunitites to share with ppl.

Shelly said...

Thank you Janet for your encouragement.