Monday, July 21, 2008

Ping

Ping
Ping
Ping
. . . (counted 29)

Today I canned another round of jam. This time my job was easier because I had skinned, pitted and cut up the fruit about 10 days ago and stuck it in the freezer for when it was convenient to can. I made 29 jars of jam. Surprisingly, I only have about 10 jars left from the first two rounds that I made (47 jars). I have been giving them away to different people. The round today consisted of apricot, plum and apricot raspberry, all reduced sugar. The plum might have some problems setting up because I used more fruit than the recipe called for and the label warned me that it might have trouble setting. If it does not set, I will either open the jars and use the 6 cups the recipe calls for and try to set it again, or turn it into plum sauce.

I love to hear the ping after the jars come out of the water bath. You know that your jars are sealed when you hear that cute ping. Each batch that comes out of the bath I count to hear the pings. It got a little confusing today because my first batch was not finished pinging when I took my second batch out and they started pinging. Thankfully, all of my jars sealed properly.

I am also trying a recipe that I pulled off of the Ball Canning Jars web site for Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing. The strawberries are sitting in a large steel pot with distilled vinegar over night. Tomorrow after I get back from the farmers market I will finish the recipe and can the dressing.

What a joy to have learned how to can jam. I am having loads of fun. By the way, if you remember a few post back when I first spoke of learning how to can. Marie told me that I had to pass along the skill of canning to someone else. The second time that I made jam I taught my good friend Janet how to can. Still hoping to teach my sisters one day.

No comments: