Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Check


One of my life time goals has been to learn how to can fruit and veggies. Growing up I watched my grandmother and grandfather can tomatoes and I helped my mom one time can cherries. I was young and did not really pay attention because there really was no need to. Now that I am some what grown up (I say some what because I am still a little kid at heart at times) I have seen and tasted the benefit of home canning.


On Saturday, Dawn and I picked enough plums and apricots to fill 3/4 to the top of 3 five gallon buckets. We picked about 1/5 of the fruit that was on the trees. There is still more fruit to harvest. Marie from church came over and taught me how to can my yummies. Actually, she knew the process of canning not making jam. So, we were both learning something new.


There is a whole process in canning and I don't need to tell you how to can here. But if you are interested here is a link that we used to guide us through http://www.pickyourown.org/. In the end we had canned 33 total jars of peach/plum sauce, apricot jam, reduced sugar apricot jam, reduced sugar plum jam and reduced sugar apricot/plum jam.


Yummy, yummy. The jam and sauce turned out wonderful. I had such a wonderful time with Dawn and Marie of sweet fellowship and fun. Marie learned how to can from another dear sister named Yvonne from our church. Yvonne told her that if she teaches her how to can that she has to teach someone else how to can. Now Marie has taught me how to can she told me I have to teach someone else how to can. I hope to teach both of my sisters, Jen and Amy, how to can. I am looking forward to the opportunity to teach others how to can (or how to make jam). Anyone want to learn how?


Speaking of jam, I want you to check out one of my dear friends blog page. Tim and Sandi's 2 1/2 year old son recites a wonderful poem called Bread and Jam for Francis. Check out the blog link here.

No comments: