Monday, June 30, 2008

Today's Pick


I just had to show you another picture of what was picked today. Really hope that you are not getting sick of my garden. God has been abundantly good and He has allowed my garden to produce goodies.
This year is proving to be one of the best yet since I have been in the house (can't believe it has already been 6 full years). But this year's crop has brought some lessons too. My young fruit trees are loaded and I am not the most experienced fruit tree "farmer". I did not thin out the crop when it was just forming and now many large branches have broken and I will need to cut them off when the fruit is done. My trees will take awhile to regain the girth and strength that they were prior to this year.
This summer I have started to buy my fruit and veggies from a local farmer's market. The produce is so fresh and I love supporting local grown farms. I am thinking about starting my own little market with my yummies. J/K!
Tonight Janet and I are going to visit and have dinner with a widow from our church. We are bringing dinner and I am bringing some of the love from my garden.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

I forgot to say that next week I am going to learn how to can apricots and make jam out of the plums and apricots. Anyone have any good recipes?

Anonymous said...

I don't have any recipes, but I would love to come over and help you and learn how to make apricot jam. You know how much I love apricots!

=)
Amy

Cherie Baker Vann said...

OH MY GOSH!! I love it!! wish I was there to sample :) great, great job!!

Anonymous said...

You have truly inspired me after all of these years! Rather than killing things, the kids and I are actually growing 4 tomato plants in pots and one sweet pepper. We are doing it; they are actually growing and budding and bearing some fruit!! We ate our first cherry tomatoe two days ago (well, Carissa did because it was too small to share! :-) Thanks, Shells for being always such an inspiration in the Lord! Love you, Jen A.

Shelly said...

Hi Jen,
Hiya sister! Always good to get a little note from you. Thank you. Great job on planting a few crops. I do truly believe that anyone can grow yummies if they put a little energy into them.
I bet Carissa thought the tomato was the best one she ever had. There is something about growning fruit and veggies by God's help with your own hands. They always taste the best.
I would recommend that you go and get a little fertilizer (something organic or Mircle Grow) and feed it about every 2-3 weeks. You get a much bigger crop and you and cause the plant to last long into the fall.
Please say hi to Curt and the kids for me. We need to catch up sometime soon.

Happy gardening and basking in God's abundant goodness! Love you guys!

Shelly