Saturday, November 3, 2007

Volle'onics

Last night my friend Dawn and I went to watch a Cal Berkeley volleyball game. The Bears crushed the Ducks in 3 games. My vocabulary and linguistic phonology reverted back 20 years to what my volleyball buddies called "Volle'onics". Back in my college volleyball days, the discussion and debate of "Ebonics" had just surfaced and was part of headline news. Unlike Ebonics, our "Volle'onics" was slang and not dialect and was mostly used in reference to the play and game of volleyball. We had our own vocabulary for life in general too but I think this was in relation to those I hung with.

Here is a sampling of my "Volle'onics" from last night's game:
she spanked it, PACK, what a rip, ROOF, get out of my house!, monster smash,
pancake, cake, sky rocket, dealing the Ace's, dink, dig, slime, stomping, romp,
crawling the floor, face print. . . and it goes on.


My "Volle'bonics" only presents itself when I am in the competitive world of volleyball.

No comments: