Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

Happy Thanksgiving, one day late! Hope you all had a wonderful day with family and friends. There is so much to be thankful for. God is always good.

I tell you, I would not be caught out at the malls or shopping stores today. I live near a mall and several shopping stores and the traffic around those stores was horrific. The streets were packed with cars just to get into the the mall parking lots. People absolutely lose themselves on Black Friday. I viewed a couple of YouTube videos and people were getting trampled to get into the stores at 5am. No one stopped to offer a hand to one woman who had fallen, she ended up being carted away by ambulance.

I did go to a few stores that were not impacted by the crowds, thankfully. My dad and I went to go and buy our Christmas trees from a local nursery (traditionally, we have always gone to cut our trees down from a tree farm. But we discovered that a local nursery carries Christmas trees that are from Washington, Oregon and extreme Northern California. These trees are from areas that get more rain, which means these trees stay green and healthy for the entire Christmas season). Not a single person buying a tree and no one at the nursery. I bought little seedlings of yellow and red onions to go in the garden. Later, I went to the paint store to get a gallon of paint to paint my spare bedroom. Again, no one in the store. Went to the grocery store for my shopping and the isles and checkouts were empty. I wisely choose not to shop on Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Then went to Home Depot and got some chalking and walked right to the self check out and walked out the door.

Black Friday is not worth it for my liking.

No comments: