Saturday, December 19, 2009

Wonderful Start to My Vacation



My walking partner (and beloved sister in the Lord from my church), Suzanne, took me hiking just over a month ago to Briones Regional Park in the East Bay. That day, we made a pack that we would hike every trail in the park within a year's time. Beingtoday is my first day on Christmas Break from work, I decided there would be no better way to start off my vacation than with a good hike in the morning fog and to work on our trail goal.




This morning we parked off Briones Road, hiked a big loop on the Old Briones Road Trail to Briones Crest to Lagoon to Toyon Canyon to Tree and back to Old Briones Road.



On our travels we saw several newts along the way. A trail sign highlighted newts and stated "newts are traveling salamanders". I have not had the chance to look up what the difference is between a newt and a salamander (Tim Davis could give a good answer to this). When I felt the newt this morning he appeared to have firm and dry skin unlike a salamander who has loose and slimy skin.


The fog gave the landscape a mysterious feel. I decided to edit this shot and try black and white film.



The dew from the fog beaded so beautifully on the spider's web displaying her creativity.



The colors of fall/winter, the fog and the gloom, and the sunlight trying to burn through were incredible to the naked eye. The camera just can not capture the depth and hues of the true picture.



At some points, we were slogging through some mud and our boots were caked with mud making us a few inches taller.

4 comments:

Tim said...

I think what you found is called Taricha torosa. There's a good article at wikipedia. This guy is called the California Newt. Newts are in the salamander family. You should also be aware that they produce a very potent toxin on their skin. Its only harmful if ingested, but make sure you wash your hands before eating!

Congratulations on losing the 40 lbs! And Happy Birthday, too!

Tim

Shelly said...

Thanks Tim, I knew you would know the answer. Good thing I am not finger licker because I did touch him one time. Good to know for next time.
Praying for you and where the Lord will land you.

Shug said...

Great pics, Shells! May I steal them for my picture file? Glad you are documenting our treks on paper and in photos. Lovely memories. Suz

Shelly said...

Hi Suz,
You can look through all the pictures that I have taken and have whatever you would like. I have a some from another time up there too. It's God's glory on display.