Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday



Christ went to the cross to die my death and guilt. My sins were the nails driven into His palms and His feet. It was my the very nature of my sinful heart that put Him on the cross, the cross that He did not deserve. Oh He suffered horribly, bled, died and took the full wrath of God's judgement upon Himself freely for me.

I am sobered to reality each year with Good Friday and Easter (Lord willing, another post for Easter and the promise that Christ fulled by His resurrection). How can a true believer not be affected at this time of year of the sacrifice that took our guilty place by the Lamb of God? If Christ did not die to pay the penalty of my guiltiness, I would be lost, without hope and headed for God's required judgement and separated from Him eternally. I am forever grateful for my Savior.

Here is a song that I came across this past year. The words move my heart and soul almost every time I hear it. You can listen to a sample of the song here.

The Look
Music and additional lyrics by Bob Kauflin. Lyrics by John Newton. As recorded on Songs for the Cross Centered Life.

I saw one hanging on a tree In agony and blood Who fixed His loving eyes on me As near His cross I stood And never till my dying breath Will I forget that look It seemed to charge me with His death Though not a word He spoke

My conscience felt and owned the guilt And plunged me in despair I saw my sins His blood had spilt And helped to nail Him there But with a second look He said “I freely all forgive This blood is for your ransom paid I died that you might live”

Forever etched upon my mind Is the look of Him who died The Lamb I crucified And now my life will sing the praise Of pure atoning grace That looked on me and gladly took my place

Thus while His death my sin displays For all the world to view Such is the mystery of grace It seals my pardon too With pleasing grief and mournful joy My spirit now is filled That I should such a life destroy Yet live by Him I killed

© 2001 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).

Here is one more song. I posted this one a very long time ago so I felt it only appropriate to post it again here.

How Deep the Father's Love for Us, Stuart Townend, 1995 Kingsway's ThankyouMusic

How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure! That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure! How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns His face away As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders; Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers. It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished; His dying breath has brought me life- I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom; But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. Why should I gain from His reward: I cannot give an answer, But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.

Picture taken from Google Images.

If you don't know Jesus as your personal Savior, I would like to direct you to a presentation by Mattias Media called Two Ways To Live. Christ truly was the Lamb of God.

No comments: