Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What a Find! Prince Caspian


On Christmas eve some friends and I went and saw National Treasure (great movie, but this post is not on this movie) and the previews included the newest of the Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian, by C.S. Lewis. Excitement filled my mind as I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie, The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.

When I first became a Christian at the tail end of my college days, I read The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe (and also read Pilgrim's Progress and Hind's Feet on High Places). Never had I heard of any of these books before that time. Growing up I never really enjoyed reading for pleasure and I think the lack of interest prevented me from reading some of the fictional classics of the Christian faith. My faith in God was encouraged by these books and the imaginary clearly displayed what Christ did on behalf of His children, how He continues to fight the battles for His children after the cross and the journey of faith a believer goes through in this life until he is ushered into the glory of His presence in eternity, heaven.

On seeing the preview for Prince Caspian, I was determined that I needed to read the book first. For me it is always better to read the original intent of the book to help fully understand the movie and to also see if Hollywood changed any themes or components of the story. On Sunday at church on the used book table was a 1971 copy of Prince Caspian for $1.75. The above is a picture of the front cover. Under the used book price was the original price $.95. I know, a huge mark up but still considerable cheaper than buying it new. This morning I finished reading "my passport to a most extraordinary excursion into magical lands and enchanted happenings" (from the back cover of the book). I am ready to see the film when it opens in May.

No comments: