Monday, July 23, 2007

Garden Bounty


And the winners for the best tomatoes are . . . Celebrity for the reds and the Golden Nugget Hybrid for the golds. My garden has produced blue ribbon winners this year and has been bountiful and mouth watering. My garden has several different types of tomatoes and other yummies. I planted 6 different types of tomatoes and had several volunteers from last year's garden. Seven plants have gone to live and produce at other homes. Every day I bring in a dozen or so. Sometimes I go out to the garden to eat right off the vine. Nothing more yummy than home grown tomatoes.
Summertime tomatoes are the key ingredient for 2 of my favorite dishes. The first is BLAT sandwiches (bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato) with no mayo but some sort of salad dressing instead. These are so perfect on a hot summer night. The second I call "Summertime Tomato Salad". It is close to an Italian salad. You start by slicing fresh mozzarella cheese and placing it on a colorful serving plate. Then, thinly slice fresh sweet basil and 3-5 fresh tomatoes (so pretty if you have different types and colors of tomatoes). Place basil and tomato slices on top of cheese. Season with ground pepper and sea salt. Drizzle a little EVOO (Rachel Ray fans know this well- Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and balsamic vinegar over the top. Almost melts in your mouth.
If you are in my nook of the woods, come on by and pick up some tomatoes. I've got plenty to share. You can decide if they are blue ribbon winners!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my hero, Shells! My mouth was watering just reading your email. I wish I lived close by so that you could teach me. I have a black thumb! Ugh! Love, Jen A.