Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Actual Rules for Teachers (circa 1915)

1. You will not marry during the term of your contract
2. You are not to keep company with men
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 pm and 6 am unless attending a school function
4. You dresses must be not any shorter than two inches above the ankle
5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the (school) board
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother
7. You may not dress in bright colors
8. You may under no circumstances dye your hair
9. You must wear at least two petticoats
10. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores

The set of teacher rules crossed my desk a few weeks ago and made me chuckle and boy have the rules changed (I don't even know if we have rules for teachers now). In looking at the rules, were teachers only female and were they not allowed to marry? Being a PE teacher, I wonder how I could teach with a dress that could not be more than 2" above my ankle and wearing at least two petticoats. Demonstrating the high jump, running a 50 meter dash, spiking a volleyball, or playing a game of "Rocks" would have been interesting, to say the least.

2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

What about teaching swimming?

Shelly said...

Well, there is no pool at the school I teach at but I'm sure my suit would have covered from ankle to neck to wrist with my hair pinned up with exactly 6 bobby pins.